Caldera takes renewable energy when it is low cost (using a flexible green tariff with prices as low as 5p/kWh) and stores it as heat, providing carbon-free hot water and heating.
The idea is the brainchild of engineers James and Guy. After a decade working on thermal storage, they saw the potential of an ultra-efficient vacuum insulated heat battery and founded Caldera in 2017.
Their patent WarmstoneTM heat battery can store enough heat (100kWh) for a standard home for 24 hours.
Speakers: James Macnaghten, Guy Winstanley and Gus Badran
This event is free for non- CFA UK society members (see registration link).
James is a Cambridge trained engineer, experienced CEO, entrepreneur and engineer with 15 years' of engineering experience in energy research and development and over 25 years' experience in business.
He has built (and still owns) Cambridge’s largest tourist business and was previously CEO of Isentropic for 10 years; a company developing a large-scale thermo-mechanical electricity storage system. He has been either co-inventor or sole inventor on a wide number of thermal energy storage patents with more than 150 granted patents (20+patent families) to his name.
Guy is a co-founder of Caldera. He has a BSc(Hons) Engineering degree from Exeter University and he has 30' years of operational, project and engineering experience. His career has encompassed R&D, manufacturing processes and operations management, including international experience in UK, Germany and Asia.
He has previous experience in energy storage at Isentropic Ltd as Head of Engineering and Operations, manufacturing and business development at Linde AG Forklift and T&N (Federal Mogul).
Investment manager (with 15 years’ combined experience in operations, product and business development within Cleantech and Technology) focusing on Cleantech, Industrial, Meditech and Technology companies who are seeking to raise venture and growth capital.
Chairman and founder of the Innovation Investing Special Interest Group (IISIG) within the Chartered Finance Analyst (CFA) UK Society.
Graduated from Imperial College London in Material Science & Engineering and also received a post graduate diploma in Manufacturing: Management & Technology and Control Systems from the Open University and the University of Sheffield respectively.
IISIG shares ideas and practices on the following:
- How to identify disruptive innovation for a particular market or society.
- How to invest and valuate start-ups and early stage companies.
- How companies operate and managed.
- Business case studies.
- Venture Capital (Fund of Funds) -VenCap International plc. 13-09-2021
- Carbon Capture from the Atmosphere - Carbon Engineering Inc. 27-09-2021
- Energy (Hydrogen) Storage and Electrolyser - ITM Power plc. 04-10-2021
- ESG for Start-ups. 11-10-21.
- Valuing young companies. 18-10-2021
- Fundamentals of Climate Change. 25-10-2021
- Fraud in Asset Management (Private Equity and Impact Investing). 01-11-2021
- Boards. 08-11-2021
- Setting Fair, Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory Royalty Rates in the Biopharmaceutical Sector. 15-11-2021
- Tidal (not wave) Energy - Orbital Marine Power Ltd. 29-11-2021
- Energy (Heat) storage for the domestic market – Caldera Ltd. 17-01-2022
Looking forward to see you all.