No of new member volunteers
Up to two terms of three years each
Approx. 40 hours per year
Society members as a whole
The board is the governing body of CFA Society of the UK (CFA UK or the society) and its members are statutory directors of the society.
- To govern the society in accordance with company law and its Articles of Association
- To set the society’s strategic direction
- To oversee the running of the society’s activities, ensuring that its finances and resources are well managed
- To ensure that the society furthers the interests of members and the investment profession.
Responsibilities and activities
- Act as a statutory director of the society, complying with the general duties of directors, acting with integrity and upholding the board’s code of conduct
- Prepare for and attend one board meeting per quarter (generally held in London on a Tuesday evening), a longer annual strategy meeting and the society’s annual general meeting
- Undertake other volunteering roles as appropriate, for example as a member or chair of one or more of the society’s committees and/or as an officer of the board
- Attend society and CFA Institute events in order to represent the board and the society and to engage actively with our members
- Undertake an initial induction programme and subsequent development activities in order to ensure you have, and keep up to date, the right knowledge and skills to perform the role
- Commitment for a maximum term of six years
Who are we looking for?
- A Regular Member of the society, but you need not be a charterholder.
The nominating committee (which oversees the nominations and selection process for this role), having reviewed the balance of the board, has identified the following priorities in recruiting for this role. Nominees do not, however, need to have experience of all of the following:
- Experienced fund manager and/or career analyst,
- Financial oversight/audit – ensuring effective governance and oversight of an organisation’s financial position, resources and prospects and its system of controls and risk management,
- Experience in PR communications and/or advocacy,
- Experience in wealth management,
- Experience of working internationally,
- An understanding of how those working across the investment community acquire skills and knowledge through qualifications, professional learning and training and experience in assessing educational needs and opportunities,
- Society knowledge gained through other volunteering activities or experience of building community within a membership organisation.
- Knowledge of how sustainable investment is developing and being integrated within investment decision-making processes and practices. Understanding and experience of climate-related, nature-related and net zero issues would be of particular interest,
- Ability to think strategically and provide robust operational oversight and challenge. Cognitive diversity is actively encouraged,
- Willingness to contribute actively to meetings,
- Self-motivated to follow through on tasks between meetings,
- Able to work as part of a team and on occasion lead a small sub-group to complete tasks,
- Board and governance experience, although a full induction and on-going development opportunities will be provided to help develop appropriate skills and knowledge,
- Desire to show courtesy and respect to other members of the board, volunteers, members and staff.
The board is committed to creating diversity in its membership and is looking to increase diversity on the basis of gender, geographic origin, ethnicity, age and other factors.
What you will gain:
- Satisfaction from making a difference to the long-term strategy and prospects of CFA UK
- Deeper insight into the society and CFA Institute
- Enhanced profile from being part of the CFA UK board
- Development of your leadership and governance skills through our board induction programme and other development activities
- Recognition for your contribution in shaping and delivering services to the membership
- The “shared experience” of volunteering – you can learn more about what to expect from volunteering in our FAQs.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity or would like to nominate another Regular Member for the role, please go to www.cfauk.org/boardrecruitment, download the board nomination form and return it to the society’s CEO, Will Goodhart firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note the deadline may be extended by the nominating committee if, for example, the pool of nominations received by the above date is not considered sufficient.