Number of new member volunteers
2 - 3
Minimum 1 year term
Average 4 hours per month
Volunteer role reports to:
DEI Committee Chair
The mission of the CFA UK Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is to promote themes and topics to raise awareness and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion issues faced in the investment industry. We look to do this by providing educational content and promoting professional standards and best practice from members, employers and the investment industry; Alongside by creating an inclusive DEI network to promote the development of members’ careers through building individual skills.
Ensuring DEI is a core focus for the industry in today’s business environment is important for both culture and conduct. Different firm types and sizes have different DEI challenges and studies have shown that corporate cultures that welcome diversity are stronger and more resilient. CFA UK’s DEI work encompasses a wide range of topics under the DEI umbrella – with an annual survey, key events, workstreams focusing on a range of inclusion topics such as neurodiversity, LGBTQIA+, gender, mental health, corporate culture, disability, age, race and ethnicity and socio-economic backgrounds.
We are keen to continue to strengthen the Committee to include a further 2 – 3 new members.
Purpose and activities:
Your role will be to:
- Actively contribute bringing ideas and innovation, including leading, supporting and attending events and webinars, creating content and other group responsibilities
- Use your professional networks to identify potential speakers and hosting venues
- Introduce and further develop relationships with external DEI initiatives and organisations (eg: Progress Together, 1000 Black Interns, SEO London, GAIN, City Hive, Return Hub, The Diversity Project etc)
- DEI Committee members would also potentially have responsibility for forming and overseeing other working groups
- Be willing to undertake DEI best practice personally and reflect it back to your firm as appropriate as well as act as an ally for DEI subjects
- Promote our DEI content via social media networks and channels
- Be willing to take minutes as required
- Commit to attend quarterly Committee meetings (virtual and in-person) and contribute to the discussion and action.
Who are CFA UK looking for?
To complement the existing DEI Committee members, we require highly engaged, action oriented and diverse individuals to join us:
- Experienced individuals, who have a position of influence and with strong personal and professional network
- Early career individuals who are passionate about improving DEI within the industry
- We are keen to attract people from a broad range of backgrounds to increase the cognitive diversity of our committee
What will you get out of it?
Volunteering with the CFA UK DEI Committee will give you:
- Opportunity to make a difference to the DEI landscape in the investment industry
- The chance to participate in keynote DEI events as a speaker or moderator
- Increase your knowledge from the wider industry about diversity
- Build your profile within the CFA UK network of volunteers, the wider CFA UK membership and the industry
- Develop leadership, communication and team work skills through our volunteer personal development training
- Recognition for your contribution in shaping and delivering services to the membership
- Opportunity to meet and network with other like-minded, diversity focused investment professionals
- Volunteering brings a “shared experience” amongst peers that has long lasting benefits for your career
- Learn more about what to expect from volunteering in our FAQs
- Group members should seek prior compliance clearance from their employers
- Members will participate in a personal capacity and not as representatives of their employer