Communities Steering Committee - Chair
Number of new member volunteers
5 hours per month
Volunteer group reports to
CFA UK Board
CFA UK is seeking a committed and enthusiastic chair to lead the newly established Communities Steering Committee.
Communities are at the forefront of CFA UK’s mission to educate, connect and inspire the investment community to build a sustainable future. A CFA UK community exists both virtually and in-person to bring customers together around a shared professional interest. The vision for communities is that they will be at the heart of customer experience – enabling collaboration on areas of shared interest so they can grow together and learn from each other.
Your role as the chair of the Communities Steering Committee will involve ensuring that every customer (candidates, members and prospects) has the opportunity to enjoy and derive value from their CFA UK community experience. This includes enabling customer collaboration on areas of shared interest so they can grow together and learn from each other and connect with the wider membership.
As chair of the committee, you will be closely and actively supported by a vice chair. The staffed office will support you in appointing your vice-chair through an open recruitment process. Once the vice-chair is in place, the staffed office will support you both in recruiting the rest of the committee members.
As a natural communicator and facilitator with high EQ, you will lead with energy and creativity. You will foster collaboration and deal with issues with respect and sensitivity. If you are keen to form and lead a high-profile and high-achieving steering committee, then this could be the ideal volunteer role for you.
The mission of the Communities Steering Committee is to ensure that CFA UK delivers a seamless experience to customers that helps them feel connected and supported, whilst sharing in the Society’s values.
The scope of work for the Communities Steering Committee is substantial and in line with CFA UK’s ambition to become a community-driven organisation.
The committee will oversee a wide range of communities, each focusing on a different subject and will work closely with the leaders of those communities to help them flourish. The committee will support and guide the community leaders through sharing best practice, problem solving and bringing the leaders together.
Communities Steering Committee activities
The Communities Steering Committee will work closely with the staffed office and, in particular, be supported and advised by the expertise of a Communities Manager, the Head of Communities and Engagement, and the Director of Customer Experience (the latter of whom will attend the committee as the staffed office representative). Together they will work to:
- Identify best practice in community creation and management and the best ways to communicate this to community leaders
- Explore ways in which communities can innovate
- Identify opportunities for community growth and increasing engagement with communities
- Support community leaders to meet KPIs set by the board and identify what success looks like for each community
- Develop and implement the Board’s vision for communities
- Work on the road map for the launch and sequencing of new communities, taking into account available resources and the society’s strategic priorities
- Assess whether each community is meeting the needs of its members and where issues arise, support the community leaders in finding appropriate solutions
- Regularly report back to the Board through the Board members allocated as liaisons
- Provide an annual report to the Board on strategic progress
- Regularly communicate with community leads to ensure they have the resources they need and are in turn providing regular operational updates.
Your role as Chair
- Apply creative thinking alongside organisational skills to drive forwards the successful implementation of the communities strategy
- Support community leaders through dissemination of best practice and create a platform where community leaders can convene as part of a mutually supportive network
- Be an effective leader who inspires others and delegates with buy-in
- Get to know your committee members so they feel heard and part of a community themselves
- Facilitate meetings and conversation to achieve actions and decisions while making sure everyone is involved
- Champion diversity, equity and inclusion in the steering committee and more widely in CFA UK’s volunteer and member communities
- Commit to attend monthly Committee meetings (usually virtual)
- Ensure actions are moved forward between meetings.
Who is CFA UK looking for?
- You are enthusiastic about driving a fantastic customer experience for CFA UK members and candidates through communities
- You are a great communicator and connector with a talent for breaking down siloes
- You have leadership and/or facilitation experience
- You have volunteering or other relevant experience
- You are a great communicator, relationship builder and connecter
- You are organised, motivated and committed.
What will you get out of it?
- Contribute to a pivotal part of CFA UK’s strategy
- Develop your leadership experience
- Receive CFA UK volunteer leader training
- Regular interaction with CFA UK’s Board
- Build your profile with CFA UK’s network of volunteers, membership and the industry
- Access to exclusive volunteer personal development training
- Opportunity to meet and network with other like-minded, diversity focused investment professionals
- Volunteering brings a “shared experience” amongst peers that has long lasting benefits for your career
- Group members should seek prior compliance clearance from their employers
- Members will participate in a personal capacity and not as representatives of their employer.